As we all know February is the month of Love, or it is supposed to be anyway. Sometimes, in the dead of winter with 15CM of snow covering your ankles, and it is -33 with the windchill it is hard to remember that it is supposed to be this mushy, lovey dovey month.
So what are some ideas to help you keep in the spirit of Valentine’s?
– Watch a mushy movie: there are tons of them out there. But I will say, if you are watching with your significant other, DON’T get a tear-jerkier, nothing kills the mood more than one or both of you blubbering for fictional characters on the TV.
– Make dinner together: If your house is anything like mine, one cooks and one cleans. But doing this simple task, encourages you to talk, and is just plain fun.
– GET OUT OF THE HOUSE: I think this is one of my all time favorite things to do, is just go for a walk. If you have kids, bring them, if it’s just the two of you, maybe start a snowball fight, or make snow angels. Once you get back to the house, make a batch of REAL hot chocolate, and cuddle up to get warm. See Jamie Oliver’s Epic Hot Chocolate recipe for a chocolate lovers dream.
– This may not be traditional, but honestly folks, there is nothing romantic about being crammed into a restaurant on valentines day like sardines! With you being next to a couple who is fighting, or with screaming kids, and on the other side is a couple of who are pushing PDA to the limit. Take it from me, postpone your night out for valentines a week, or even make it a week early. This year the BF and I are going to our fave steak house in March, instead of February, just to make sure that we can enjoy ourselves a lot more.
Now for those people who HATE valentines day… I have some ideas for you too. We have all been there, not loving this month and the idea that a day where you proclaim your love for the person you are with. I honestly flip flop back and forth each year. Some years I could care less, and others I am excited for the day. (I am in the middle this year, as it is a Saturday, and we’re kinda stuck for ideas.)
So for the Haters of the Month of love:
– Horror movies – the perfect opposite of the a fore mentioned mushy ones.
– Get out, and take a class. This is the perfect month to get on those resolutions you forgot you made in January. Keep your mind off the month of love by getting out there, and take that cooking or yoga class you have always wanted to take.
– Go away for a girls weekend. Get all your single girls together, (heck even take some of the taken ones.) and go to a ski lodge, or cross boarder shopping.
– Throw an anti-valentines day party – basically just throw a party with a theme of wear anything pink or red, you are not allowed in!
If you are celebrating Valentine’s or not, I wish you all a wonderful February!