So I have to admit when the summer hit I dropped the ball on my New Years Resolution of making a new dish every week. But I’ll blame that on being pregnant and having no energy and the heightened sense of smell making me feel sick every so often.
When I was making my grocery list for this week I was struggling to come up with dinner ideas so on to Pinterest I went to find something. I had pinned this recipe a while ago and it just sat there. It’s been warm this week so it seemed like a good idea to give this a try so we could have a tasty meal without turning on the oven. Thank you to Real Housemoms for this delicious dish!
Crock Pot Cheesy Chicken, Bacon, & Tater Tot Bake
- 1 (32 ounce) bag tater tots
- 3 ounce crumbled bacon pieces
- 1 lb skinless chicken breasts
- 1½ cups grated colby cheese
- 1½ cups grated monterey jack pepper cheese
- ¾ cup milk
- salt and pepper
- Grease the bottom of the crock pot
- Layer ½ the tater tots on the bottom of the pot
- Sprinkle ½ of the bacon pieces on top of the tator tots
- Combine the two cheeses, and sprinkle ⅓ of it over the bacon and tots
- Top cheese with the chicken breasts
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper to taste
- Top chicken with another ⅓ of cheese
- Sprinkle with other ½ of the bacon pieces
- Add remainder of the tater tots
- Top with final ⅓ of the cheese
- Pour milk over the top
- Set crock pot to high and cook 4-5 hours (3 was perfect for me)
So for me. Instead of buying 2 different cheeses I just bought a bag of the pre-shredded stuff and got the Tex Mex because it had the Monterey Jack in it. That was way easy, and saved me prep time. I think the only thing I might try different next year, is maybe find some seasoned tater tots, or add some seasoning to them, and use less. The chicken was really flavourful, but I found the tots to be lacking just a little something. Other than that…it was amazing. Since I bought the pre-shredded cheese there was absolutely no pre-time at all. It was just dump everything in the crock pot and turn it on. She’s right in saying that 3 hours was all it needed. My son woke up at 7am, I grabbed everything at 7:45am, and by 8am the crock pot was on. I checked on it at 11am and it was perfect. It’s a perfect last minute throw together meal.